Marriage Licenses

Due to very limited staffing, we are fulfilling Marriage License Applications by appointment only (please do not contact us more than 30 days from the actual wedding day).

Town Hall is open to the Public, Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5 pm. Marriage License Application Appointments are available between 9 am and 4 pm. Please contact the Town Clerk at 603-890-2116 or Deputy Town Clerk at 603-890-2111 to schedule an appointment. Appointments are first come-first served and only when available. We cannot accommodate any Walk-In Marriage License applications at this time.

Once an appointment has been made, please bring the following with you to the Town Hall:

  • Photo IDs (current Driver's License or Passport)
  • If previously married and divorced/annulled: the original, certified Final or Absolute Divorce Decree (Divorce NISI are not acceptable) or Annulment of the most recent marriage
  • If previously married with a deceased spouse: the original, certified Death Certificate of the spouse
  • If any of your documents are not in English, they must be translated into English and notarized
  • $50 cash, check, money order, credit card or debit card

Both you and your fiancée must be present to complete the "Certificate of Intention of Marriage" (a.k.a. Marriage License Application). Please allow yourself 30 to 45 minutes to complete the entire application process. Witnesses are not required for the application process. However, translators are recommended to attend the application process with the applicants as we do not have translation services available.

Once the process is completed, the applicants will leave with a NH Marriage License that is valid for 90 days. The Officiant must complete their portion of the license following their presiding over the marriage ceremony, civil or religious. The license must be returned by the ceremony officiant, only, to the Salem Town Clerk within 6 days from the marriage ceremony for entry into the NH Vital Records database.

Marriage Certificates can be requested and purchased from any town or city within the State of New Hampshire once the marriage information has been recorded with the NH Vital Records Division. Please see the Town of Salem's procedures for attaining certified Marriage Certificates: Vital Records Request.