Online Reporting / Records Requests / Discovery Requests

Online Reporting

To file a report, go to our Non-Emergency Incident Reporting website. Select the option Report Incident to begin. For crimes in progress or other emergencies call 911.

Using this online system allows you to submit a report immediately and to receive a copy of an approved report for free. It allows you to make a report 24 hours a day without having to wait for a patrol officer to respond to your residence or having to come to the police station. Please confirm the following to find out if online citizen report filing is right for you:

  • This is not an Emergency and is not "in progress"?
  • This incident occurred within the actual boundaries of the Town of Salem?
  • This did not occur on Interstate 93 or the Rest Area off Route 93?
  • The theft is not related to the delivery of mail or packages at any of the U.S. Post Offices in Town?
  • The value of a theft is under $1,000?
  • Firearms, bombs, incendiary devices are not involved?
  • No one was injured?

If you answered yes to all of the above questions, you are ready to file your report online. There is also a Frequently Asked Question section if you have further questions.

Types of Crimes Can You Report

  • Fraudulent Use of a Credit/Debit Card
  • Traffic Complaints (not accidents)
  • Tips to the Police
  • Phone/Computer Fraud or any Theft by Deception
  • Shoplifting or Willful Concealment (Merchants Only)
  • Lost Property
  • Thefts
  • Theft from a Motor Vehicle
  • Unlawful Dumping
  • Vandalism
  • Vandalism to a Vehicle
  • Animal Complaints

You will be notified upon completing the report that your submission was successful and given an Incident Report ID tracking number. You will be notified by the police department as to whether your report has been accepted, denied, or requires more information. A police officer may contact you for more information. If your report is accepted, and involves a criminal offense, a police report will be generated, however, all reports accepted by the system will, at a minimum, have a call generated on our Dispatch Log. Once your report is approved, you will receive a free copy of the report via email.

Record Requests

You may also use the portal to request a Salem Police report (accident, arrest, offense, etc.).  By utilizing the Contact Us / Request Reports tab on the platform, you can select the agency Salem Police Records Department and make your request.  Please note that a .50 cent per page fee applies to any documents requested, made payable to the Town of Salem by check or money order.  Please note that the Salem Police Department does not send out reports that have not yet been approved.

Utilize the Records Request Feature.

Discovery Requests

If you have been arrested or charged by the Salem Police Department, for a violation or misdemeanor offense, you or your attorney may request a Discovery request to the Prosecution Unit of the agency. This will be provided at no cost to you. Requests for Discovery may be made in a number of ways, however, the easiest may be using the tab on the left side for Contact Us / Request Reports and selecting the agency Salem Police Department Prosecution Unit with your request.

Utilize the Records Request Feature.

If you have been charged with a felony-level offense or an enhanced misdemeanor offense, you must request Discovery from the Rockingham County Attorney's Office.

General Questions

You may also use the platform for general questions. Please utilize the Contact Us / Records Request and select agency Salem Police General Questions.