We just got married in New Hampshire. What do we do now?

Congratulations on your recent nuptials and best wishes to a happy future together!!

Now, on to the essentials:

  1. Officiant returns the original, completed Marriage License, along with any special officiant marriage waivers from the Secretary of State of New Hampshire, to the Town/City Hall that you attained your Marriage License from. Every block in the "OFFICIANT" section of the license must be filled in by the Officiant.
  2. Request and pay for Marriage Certificates. We do not automatically send out the Marriage Certificates due to the privacy laws of the State of New Hampshire. You must request and pay for them, first. While any town/city clerk in the State of NH can access the vital records database, please refer to the specific town's/city's procedures. In Salem, we highly encourage you to order your Marriage Certificates online. Otherwise, you can request them by mail (PDF). Further details about requesting Marriage Certificates, or any other vital records, can be found on our Certified Vital Records page
  3. Once you receive your Marriage Certificate, you can legally change your name, if applicable. Start with the Social Security Administration to attain an updated Social Security card. Once you receive your new Social Security card, then you can proceed to:
    • Your local Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV)/Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to update your driver's license
    • Your banking institution(s) to update your account(s)
    • Your insurance company to update your coverage
    • Your doctor's office to update your records
    • Your professional licensing institutions/agencies, so forth and so on

Show All Answers

1. How do I obtain a Marriage License?
2. How do I register or transfer plates to a vehicle, motorcycle or trailer (utility, boat or camper) in Salem?
3. I just moved to Salem. How do I register my vehicle(s)?
4. How do I get a certified copy of a birth, death, divorce or marriage certificate?
5. We just got married in New Hampshire. What do we do now?
6. How do I get a landfill/dump permit and where is the landfill/dump located?
7. How do I license my dog?
8. I did not receive my Motor Vehicle Renewal Notice, what should I do?
9. I can't find my vehicle's title. Where do I get a new one?
10. How do I register to vote?
11. Where do I get a fishing/hunting license?
12. Where do I get a business license?
13. When are elections held?
14. Where do I register my boat? What will it cost?
15. Where can I dispose of construction debris or wood?
16. What will it cost to register my car, motorcycle or trailer in the Town of Salem?
17. What forms of payment does the Town accept?
18. Where do I vote?
19. How do I find a Justice of the Peace to perform a marriage ceremony?
20. Where do I get a passport? Where do I get a Social Security card?
21. Where can I do genealogy research?